Sunday, March 11, 2012

Rainbow Bright: Tutu Tutorial


I don't think there is anything cuter on a little girl than a tutu! There are just so fun and so completely girly. My niece Kaia has a birthday coming up and her mama asked me if I could make her a rainbow tutu to match her cute candy theme. I said "Of course!"

I realized I've made a million tutus, but I've never shared a how-to with you guys. So here it is. An easy (mostly) no sew tutu tutorial!

So you're going to want to buy a lot of tulle and the amount depends on the size of your little one and how long you want it to be. When buying fabric, I always tend to buy a little extra. For this tutu, I bought two yards of each color, for a total of 8 yards. I really only needed about a yard and a half of each color. Obviously, you can just buy all one color.


What you need:
-Tulle
-Elastic
- Sharp scissors
-Ribbon/ any thing you want to add for decoration

The thing about tutus is that they are really easy to make but they can be rather time consuming depending on the size. Also, the cost of your tutu can vary dramatically. If you use a regular matte colored tulle it is about $1.50/ yard at our local Joanns. If you use fancy glitter tulle it is about $5.00/ yard. That is a huge cost difference. I chose to use "Shiney" tulle for about $2.00/yard. Elastic is super cheap. The only other thing that might bring up your bill is whether or not you want to decorate it with gems or ribbons etc. I like to use ribbon because its classic and girly and I always have some extra laying around.

Also, make sure your scissors are sharp. Otherwise they will catch on the tulle and it looks yucky.

Here wee goo!


Ok, if you have to buy your tulle by the yard like I do, its going to be folded in half width wise. You are going to need to lay your fabric out flat and then carefully cut along the fold. Don't separate the pieces when you are done. Leave them laying on top of each other.





Next:Fold your tulle in half longways one time. Cut at the fold. 



You should now have four pieces of fabric on top of each other. Now your going to fold it in half width wise and in half again. Repeat until you have a small "roll" .





Folding it like this makes it easier to cut straight neat strips of fabric faster. Now you are going to cut the fabric into small sections. Don't "unroll" them yet.






Repeat for all of your different colors.



Moving on! Cut the length of elastic that you need for your tutu wearer. Don't worry too much, elastic is stretchy so you don't have to be 100% exact. The only sewing involved? Sew together the ends. :) Now hide that needle and thread in the closet again ;).



So now you have the elastic "belt", but how are you going to attach the tulle?

I like to wrap my elastic around something so that I don't have to worry about holding it and tying stuff on. I've seen people use their feet to hold it before, but that kind of grosses me out. I usually try and find a box or something that's the right size. In this case, it was a boy scout kettle corn box. (Those poor boy scouts. How are they supposed to compete with cookies??)


Next take one of your tulle "slices" containing the four strips of fabric. Holding the four pieces together, you are going to tie it onto your elastic band.





Now repeat alternating colors until you have filled up the band.


Tadah! You have your very own rainbow tutu! You can stop here, but I always like to add at least a ribbon or something. Also, you can smooth out your tulle to separate the colors, or fluff it up for more volume. Whichever you prefer.



Super simple and adorable. You can cut your strips shorter or use more ribbons and gems. Whatever suits your style. Like I always say, make it yours. <3

A little word of advice: While you may be super excited to use sparkletastic glitter tulle, please note, no matter how high the quality, it will shed glitter all over your house. This may upset your husband, son, boyfriend, father who gets laughed at at work for having glitter on his shirt. Just saying, I warned you.

Post a photo below of your tutu! I can't wait to see what people create!!

Wishing you all candy and rainbow tutu filled days,
<3 miss emily

No comments:

Post a Comment