Monday, May 21, 2012

Freezer Paper Stencils

So little miss Skyleigh Faye (who I made the Zebra basket for) finally made her world debut last week. To celebrate, I made Big Brother & Little Sister tops for her and her new big bro. See below :)



I had been seeing tons of pins about freezer paper stencils. Its a super easy, super professional way of stenciling your shirts. Confused? Let me show you!

Here is what you need:
A plain shirt
Freezer Paper
A design
Iron
Paints & paint brush
Exacto Knife

Ok, so first you need to make sure you buy freezer paper and not wax paper. They look basically the same and are boxed almost exactly the same. The difference is freezer paper is only waxy on one side.


Up, up and AWAY!!

Step One
Print out the design that you want. I chose a personalized Disney pattern. Tape your freezer paper to the pattern, shiny side down. You will be able to see your design through the wax paper.


Step Two
"Trace" your pattern with the exacto knife, in other words cut out all the letters ;) Don't forget the little pieces from inside letters or pictures.

Step Three
Once you've traced and punched out all of you letters, you should have a stencil. Center it or place it on your shirt waxed side down. (Remove the tape!! I forgot to do this before I took the picture)

Step Four
Iron your stencil to the shirt. This is going to "seal" it to the fabric so that when you paint over it, it will not bleed.
Step Five
Paint over your stencil and let it dry.
If you're like me and you have the patience of a two year old, you can use your hair dryer to speed up drying time.
Step Six
Peel off your freezer paper. You may need to use a pin or toothpick to pop out the smaller pieces from inside letters.

And that's it! You are donezo!

And here both shirts are together:

I ended up sewing a red and white polka dot bow onto Skyleigh's to make it more Minnie. I was so excited to get to meet her this weekend and hold her for the first time. It was so exciting!

I'm definitely going to use these freezer paper stencils a LOT more in the future. They are super easy and com out super crisp and clean looking. The hardest part is cutting out all the little letters.

I hope you guys try this out! Let me know how it turns out.

<3 miss emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment